“Healthy” is not necessarily the first word to pop to mind when someone mentions pancakes. There are, however, a number of ways to turn the regular pancake batter into a healthier good-for-you version.
- Replace regular all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour, oat flour, or almond flour.
- Better still, skip the flour part altogether, bananas, for instance, will give the desired moistness and consistency, without having to use flour.
- Choose your toppings carefully. While maple and chocolate syrup are popular toppings, opt for healthier ones: fresh fruits (Blueberries for instance) or homemade jam will do the part!
Health Benefits of Healthy-ingredient Pancakes:
- First of all, the gluten level in Whole wheat flour is significantly lower than that of white flours. The graham flour (another name for this flour) is higher in dietary fiber, and its overall nutrient content is higher than that of its all-purpose counterpart.
Oat flour will make for moister baked goods than the graham flour, and it is made from cereal oats, so it is definitely a healthier version than regular white flour.
The Almond flour is especially good for pancakes since it will give them a light almond flavour, while simultaneously leaving you with the sensation of a full belly.
- Bananas are a rich source of potassium, 422 mg per serving, and it is this mineral that is essential for the heart, kidneys, and other vital organs in the human body to work normally.
- Blueberries abound with vitamins C and K, and the water-soluble vacuolar pigments, anthocyanins, that they contain make them the world’s greatest antioxidants.
A Healthy Five Steps Recipe Idea:
- 3 eggs
- 2 bananas
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- A dash of cinnamon
- A cup of blueberries
- Homemade honey apricot jam
- Whisk the eggs.
- Add the baking powder and cinnamon.
- Mash the bananas using a fork.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bananas and mix everything together.
- Pour a tablespoon of batter onto a pan. Cook for 4 minutes, flip and cook for 3 more.
Note: Although slightly modified, with the toppings chosen, this recipe is taken from MyGreatRecipes, particularly from the Pancake recipes collection.